Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Everyone Knows What A Dragon Looks Like

It suddenly occurred to me to expand these art book postings into the massive collection of illustrated children's books that I've been collecting throughout my entire life. So, not only will I start with one of the first books I can remember, but to also start with the one that left me with the most incredible continual fascination with Orientalism.
Han, the orphan gate sweeper of the walled frontier city learns the lesson that appearances can be deceiving when the city is besieged by the Wild Horsemen of the West.
I havent looked at this book in a long time and the illustrations by Mercer Mayer are even more stunning than I remembered, and its no wonder I was so attracted to the asian aesthetic from the get go.
Its 32 pages but Ive spent a lifetime wandering the mountain paths and cleanly swept streets of the city of Wu.

Everyone Knows What A Dragon Looks Like
Jay Williams
Mercer Mayer
Four Winds Press 1976
32Pages (HC)
ISBN-0-590-07284-6
8.5 x 8.5 x 0.1

No comments: